Section I: Background
Walmart customers and Sam’s Club members expect products that are safe, affordable and sustainable. As part of its corporate mission to help people Save Money and Live Better, Walmart and Sam’s Club believe that customers/members should not have to choose between products that they can afford and products that are better for them and the environment. Walmart and Sam’s Club have worked with suppliers, NGOs, academics, government, and industry stakeholders to develop a company policy on sustainable chemistry for the consumables products that we sell. Sustainable Chemistry is the design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use or generation of hazardous substances, both to humans and the environment.
Section II: Policy
Walmart U.S. and Sam’s Club U.S. commit to empower customers/members with information about the products that we offer them and to accelerate the use of sustainable chemistry practices. Expectations of suppliers of formulated consumables1 to Walmart U.S. and Sam’s Club U.S. are as follows:
- Disclose full product formulations to The Wercs through WERCSmart2.
- Disclose all product ingredients online by product beginning January 2015.
- Disclose all priority chemicals on pack beginning January 2018.
Advancing safer formulation of products
- Complete the Sustainability Index to track performance on chemical disclosure, risk assessment and hazard avoidance.
- Reduce, restrict and eliminate use of priority chemicals using informed substitution principles.
- Walmart U.S and Sam's Club U.S have defined a list of authoritative and regulatory lists, which will be made public, to identify "Walmart Priority Chemicals" within the scope of this policy.
- From among "Walmart High Priority Chemicals," Walmart U.S and Sam's Club U.S have identified a subset of approximately ten "Walmart High Priority Chemicals" as a starting point for suppliers and will inform suppliers of the presence of Walmart High Priority Chemicals through our partner, The Wercs.
Safer Choice in private brands
- Walmart U.S and Sam's Club U.S will strive towards formulation and labeling its private brand products in accordance with the U.S EPA's Safer Choice program, beginning in January 2014 with cleaning products and expanding to other categories as the program grows.
Section III: Monitoring and Reporting
Walmart U.S and Sam's Club U.S will monitor progress against this policy through the Sustainability Index and The Wercs, beginning January 2014, and publicly communicate progress beginning January 2016.
 Includes formulated consumables products as defined by Walmart merchandising organization; Excludes active ingredients that provide therapeutic benefit when present in a product approved by the FDA New Drug Application process